The plan is to upgrade your account to the Premium servers when your account rebills during the month of February. We started the upgrades on February 3 and they will continue into early March. If your account has already been rebilled and renewed in February, it has been upgraded. You can check if your account has been billed in the Members area of our website under Invoice History. You need to make a few adjustments in your newsreader software to connect with the Premium servers. The instructions below assume you are using News Rover to connect, so if you are using different software, the process may be a little different, but the basic steps and information should be similar.
- If you have any file attachments stored in numbered folders under your /newsrover/ directory, you may want to move them before you proceed as they may be deleted.
- On News Rover 'Configure' menu, 'Server' tab, Remove the server news.thundernews.com from your servers list.
- Add one of these servers:
- Choose an NNTP port among: 119, 23, 25, 443, 3128, 7000, 8000, 8080 or 9000. Do not check SSL.
- Modify your User ID to include 'tn' as a prefix. For example:
- If your Old User ID was: 12345678
- Your new User ID would be: tn12345678
- your password is unchanged from before.
- You may update your max connections setting up to 10. If you load both servers, be sure the max connections between them adds to 10 or less, such as 5 and 5 or 8 and 2, etc.
- Update the list of available newsgroups
- If you keep headers for subscribed groups, you should update your header list for those newsgroups as it is possible the message ID numbers will be different.
- Depending on your newsreader software, you may need to restart it for the server updates to take effect.
You should be able to connect to the Premium servers after following the steps above. If you have any difficulty connecting, please double-check your setup matches above. If you still encounter any issues or have any questions, click "No" below and explain the difficulty you are experiencing. Please be sure to include your member id in your support ticket along with the error message you are receiving.
Click here if you do not know your password.